St John the Baptist Parish Church, South Carlton

The Church houses a significant monument to Sir John and Lady Joan Monson. The canopied tomb chest was erected in 1625 and carved by the renowned sculptor Nicholas Stone. It was defaced during the English Civil War, and previous conservation attempts have been unsuccessful. The monument required considerable conservation.

Design Brief

A conservation report has identified the need for significant repair and conservation works, including removal of ironwork, stabilisation of the canopy, conservation cleaning and repair. The cost of the works is beyond the resources of those responsible for the monument; as a result, the tomb remains in a precarious condition and inaccessible to the public.


IPC is seeking funds from various grant making trusts to undertake the conservation work, identifying appropriate funders, ensuring the proposed works meet the funding terms and conditions, timetabling applications and submitting the correct paperwork.

To top